Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Trip to Notre Dame vs Rice


For Labor Day weekend, I had planned on making a trip to ND prior to signing up for the rut, and I figured it would be a good trip to see some old friends, but I was (and still am) worried about training enough for the race. The added incentive for the weekend was it being Alumni Row weekend, meaning my fellow rowers would be converging on South Bend and bound for a good time.


Some upgrades had been made to the rowing program - not only were there some very nice shells (those green ones are Hudsons, which is what the US Men's team rows in), but there was a new coach; a coach who was a coxswain on the team when I was there and I think will be an excellent head for the team. Exciting!

Anyway, after a night of hanging out and reminiscing for a few hours (and playing some Super Smash Bros), we got to racing on Saturday morning. 8 of us alums jumped into a boat and got a chance to prove that we were still worthy rowers by racing the varsity crew. Even with all the injured vertabrae in the boat, we managed to kick butt. It's a nice feeling to have beat the varsity team, but worrisome that they couldn't beat a bunch of guys that aren't in as good of shape.

I had my one and only run of the weekend that morning... totaled a whopping 2 miles. Oh well, the race is pretty short right? But I did row for like 30 minutes, so that counts for something right? I figured I'd get my run in later in the weekend, specifically on Monday.


After the athletic endeavor of the weekend, we got to watch the football beat up on top ranked Rice University (they are top ranked in academics, not football, FYI). Always good to be back for the games, especially when we actually look like a team (ahem, Charlie Wies and your not-so-great teams).

It made for a nice weekend despite the fact that it gave me a bit of catching up to do with training.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment