Friday, September 12, 2014

Run the Rut this weekend

A true mountain race - photo credit: Myke Hemsmeyer


It's really happening... I'll be out in the Big Sky region this weekend and will actually be running the race. I say that because it still seems a bit surreal. It's 50k up a mountain, with a lot of terrain and hills and will be at a higher altitude. Did I train enough? Did I get enough climbs in? Will my legs and knees hold up? Why is it snowing there already!? I guess I'll find out on Saturday!

Those are always questions that enter my mind before a big race, but this one I'm especially worried about because of the amount of climbing that's involved. Based on my run at Blue Knob, I imagine I should be ok, but there will be a lot more challenges that start creeping into my mind and make me question whether or not this was a wise decision. But there is no time to worry, and just look forward to the adventure along with being able to spend some time with my college roommate!

Race Details

From +Big Sky Resort this Thursday morning

The race takes place at the Big Sky resort just outside of Bozeman, MT. The stage is set to kickoff with a vertical 1 mile race Friday (today), followed by the 50k and 12k on Saturday morning. I got a little worried today when I checked the weather and it said 34 *F and snowing! Snow... in September?!? But upon looking at the forecast, the weather should start in the low 30s but be in the 50s for the race with clear skies; perfect racing weather. Whew.



As for the actual course, the Montana Mikes and the Rut crew were out marking the course earlier this week. From what I've read, it will be challenging, but with great views and some good challenges. There will be a lot of single track, which I feel very comfortable with, and a fair amount of dirt trails. It's the scree and off trail I'm a bit new to, but I feel confident I'll be able to handle it.

Marking the course (courtesy of Instagram user @thrphoto)


The route features a challenging and steep summit, which features a via ferrata line to make the summit of Lone Peak. The climbs and elevation gain and drop will definitely cause a lot of pain on my legs and knees, but I think should be decent enough to let me walk away from the race still standing.

Elevation profile for the Rut 50K


I've been checking out twitter and other social medias to keep up with what's going on and see other pictures. The official tag for the race is #runtherut, so feel free to look yourself. The race looks fun and I'm excited for all it brings.

How to Watch the Race

There are a few avenues to keep track of the race if you feel so inclined. There is some twitter coverage via iRunFar.com that will be live tweeting the whole event. I suppose you could also just look for the tag #runtherut on twitter/instagram/fb. I'm not really sure how this works, but Ultrasports Live has some kind of coverage... just not sure if it's live, or afterwards they put something together, but that's here. I suppose check it out on Saturday?

My Expectations

As far as preparations go, there's not much more I can do with regard to physically preparing. I've gotten the runs in, and put in the time. To prepare for the weather, I'm definitely bringing some long sleeves and windbreaker. Haven't decided on what to wear on my head or if I'll need some gloves... I've got my shoes all broken in and will definitely bring some anti-chafe stuff (the stuff's a lifesaver). My food of choice will be some salt tabs (not really food I suppose) and Picky Bars as my main food source between aid stations. They seem to hold up pretty

I'm hoping to finish somewhere close to 7-8 hours. Because this race is part of some bigger series (called the Skyrunner World Series), it's attracting some big name talent. One of which is deemed one of the best trail runners in the world, Kilian Jornet. Expect me to finish a little bit after him (ha ha).

Outside the Race

After the race, the race organizers are supposed to be providing some fun activities as well. Including some Montana brewed beer, awards, and a mechanical bull (just in case you weren't beat up enough). Beyond the race, I'll get a chance to see my long time friend and former roommate, DZ! It's a friend of his wedding this weekend, which means DZ's family will be in town, so I'll get a chance to say hi to them and congratulations to his friend as well.

Looking forward to a great weekend and will post how it goes. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment